Search :                       

QuOTe fEr d" wEEk!!!

I was thinking about how people seem to read the Bible a whole lot more as they get older Then it dawned on me . . . they were cramming for their finals.

Friday, May 18, 2007

Presenting to you...

So I walked in today morning expecting nothing out of the ordinary. I have lost count on the number of times fate has cheated me on this. Guess today was to be no exception.

As part of the daily routine, i walk around the corner of the building. I do this to skip the lift and move to the staircases. If you dont know me and I have successfully managed to convince you that I am health freak with 32 inch biceps, please stop reading here and send in your email id and phone number to rohitgm_007@yahoo.co.in (only gals and successful directors)... The rest of you, well, ya... you guessed it rite... the stair case directly opens up to the portion of the office between the HR section and Tech Support section... A place i like to call Shangrila-a la-McAfee ... for obvious reasons

I seem to have a new found respect for McAfee's hiring policy now. I have to meet the head of the Tech Support incharge... Apparently his and my tastes match a lot.

Coming back to our story... after this daily ritual i move on to my desk... I see many familiar faces around... Not the prettiest I might add... There is something about coding that brings out in one the worst contortions of the human face...(Yup... I am talkin about the look on ur face about 49.3 microseconds b4 u punch the keyboard, screaming obscenities at his presumed ancestors...)

As I sit at my desk, reading (read as pretending to read) the documentation that I have been handed about 3 months ago, oblivious to the inevitable at hand, I feel a hand on my back... I knew this clasp all too well... The first of which (3 months ago) were followed by the words, "Checking your email eh!!! Good good... Just wanted to remind you about the deadline this weekend... If you dont finish it, well, there could be problems"... I liked this guy... How he managed to keep a straight face thru that without the slightest modulation in tone, I dont know? Guess that is what it takes to become a manager... I looked for a hint of a smile at the furthest corner of his lips... Time and experience had taught me that this was futile... So I went ahead with the obligatory... "Yes Sir... ok sir... almost ready sir..."

Flashback over***
I turn around to see him smiling... That couldnt be good... I was familiar with the smile as well... It was the cover up for impending disaster... Like "Rohit, there is a huge-mega important project headed your way" (read as ... the management has chosen you to be the next guinea pig for our random experiments)

Manager:" A few software consultants are coming from Aztec Soft today. I want you to help me interview them"
Me:jaw drops to the ground... cleans ear... pinches himself to get himself bk to reality... then says... "Pardon me sir"
Manager:"Well... nothing to worry about... You are an expert in JSP and Spring Framework now.. Just tell them about how we use JBuilder as well"
Me:"who ... what ... who... Jay Bildu??... uh!!! Sir... kya bolti tu??"
Manager:gets the point (smart man)... "Hmmm... k... you come anyway... You dont have to say anything during the meeting... I will get Muthu as well (my mentor)"
Me:"Wow... that sounds gr8"

Now ordinarily I love interviewing people... but, tis never been for their technical skills... I knew as much about technicality as Yahoo mail about avoiding spam.... (read in layman terms as ... oh man!!! u suck)... granted i had joined one of the top 10 Engineerin institutes in india on merit... but people shud (esp since the success of 5 point someone) shud hav guessed by now how much of a fluke it was

Manager:"Oh yeah!!! And Rohit... please sit at your desk for sometime today... I will need you soon"

Lets jus say that I had been absconding a lot frm my seat fer the last week... Reading loads of documentation, as you would have noted... not in the top of my hobby list

An hour later... Manager calls me into room packed with two baldies and 3 professional looking chums... The central baldi introes himself... "Hi... bla bla bla... I am 10 years experienced" (gulp) "...bla bla bla... He is 8 years bla bla bla... This is juniormost fellow... only 4.5 years experience... bla bla bla"

Intro ends...

Manager:"Rohit... These chaps will be helping with the integration of 6.0 version of the product. Rohit here has almost completed work on 7.0 (yup... the miracle of Ctrl C,Ctrl V)... so... guide them with the same"

Manager:"Muthu give them a brief intro of the architecture of the system"
Phew!!!! Lucky escape...

Manager and 10 yr baldie go to next room... Muthu speaks about old version of product...

Muthu:"Rohit... will now give an overview of the architecture of the new version and y we have chosen the underlying technologies to implement the same"

Alarm bells ring... church bells sound... sounds of firing in Karachi... phatta phatta phatta phat... Where was a major earthquake when you needed one

Me:"Ya... sure"

Me:" Ahem Ahem... throat not very well today... so ... i will make this short... cough cough..."

Me:"As Muthu has already told you... bla bla bla... and he also told you bla bla bla... and i definitely u wud remember him tellin u bla bla bla... Its all true... Wat he said at first.. true..."

10 very very very very long minutes of twistin and turning and churnin out complex words (of English dictionary) and confusing everyone in the room later...

Me:"I can imagine that I have confused you a lot... (he he)... I really want to give you an indepth view of the architecture(ya rite... as much as i wanted flea infested warts all over my body), but, I dont want to confuse and scare you all on the first day itself... So.. anytime u are free.. come down to my...errr...ahem... Muthu's desk..."

"... Any doubts??"

Junior-most:"You mentioned about Spring framework... any reason u are preffering that over Struts...???"

Me:"ya... they look prettier and sound better"

room laughs... manager comes in... "trust you hav had a good session..."

Nick of time.. I luv u ... i luv u.. i luv u...
Me:"Sir... frnds are waitin outside for lunch"
Manager:"Sure... go ahead... bye and thanx"

I had learnt something very important on this day folkz...

[b]When in doubt, act dumb... When ignorant... BULLSHIT[/b]... gnite u all

15 comments:

urslovingly said...

wow ! what a superb blog , the blog world needs your contribution. continue your good work .... :)

Anu said...

hey good one dude!!

sooooooooo true...when ignorant u jus shdn't give a damn!!!

"Alarm bells ring... church bells sound... sounds of firing in Karachi... phatta phatta phatta phat... Where was a major earthquake when you needed one"
-very funny!!!

keep them comin...

Confessions of a Born Procrastinator said...

@friends...
hope it is not a hint of sarcasm i detect in those comments...[:)]

Confessions of a Born Procrastinator said...

@Anu...
Guess somethings only come with experience... esp ones that u hav to react to at the moment...

P.S. Thanx fer the vote of confidence.. [:)]... will keep them coming as long as i can keep my job.. :D

raghav said...

hey dude .. a bit tilted towards the prolix side .. but very funny ! was reliving my presentations to my team ..*grin*

constructive criticism: KISS .. try keeping it 'short and simple' :)

Confessions of a Born Procrastinator said...

he he... seems like that's the one feedback i get the most...

Cant help it!!! When i get writin, I really get writin... That's me I guess.. :)

Anonymous said...

Loved it man...Too funny:) A post all software engineers in India can probably relate to :D

"I can imagine that I have confused you a lot... (he he)... I really want to give you an indepth view of the architecture(ya rite... as much as i wanted flea infested warts all over my body), but, I dont want to confuse and scare you all on the first day itself"

--Robin

Anu said...

actually what u had said abt managers is also very true

"How he managed to keep a straight face thru that without the slightest modulation in tone, I dont know? Guess that is what it takes to become a manager... I looked for a hint of a smile at the furthest corner of his lips... Time and experience had taught me that this was futile... "---happens almost evryday in a software profs life :-)

Confessions of a Born Procrastinator said...

@Robin ...

Ya... Every software engineer's nightmare... :)

@Anu ...

Cant even imagine what kind of an image i have given bout my manager by now... Honestly... very easy to point out mistakes with manager.. but GOD knows that tis much easier to handle crazy code than a bunch of frustrated crazy individuals who think that they are more qualified than their managers... :)

@Manager....

Please read the above comment and consider the same when you give me the next appraisal.. :D

Nasia said...

So your manager is reading ur blogs.. Good 4 you..
Though it started off confusing.. Got funny .. :-)
It was a relief getting to know that a merit student of a top college feels the same way as the rest of us .
Keep visiting my blog..
cheers!

Confessions of a Born Procrastinator said...

@nasia...

For someone who comes as a big friend of Raghav and BullShee, such things surprise you.. ha ha..

As far as manager is concerned.. well.. i plan to keep him as far away frm this page as possible... Definitely would not want him to find out how professional a team he has working under him would i??

Anonymous said...

thats some very talented writting!

Anonymous said...

thats some very talented writting!

Princess Banter said...

Oh dude -- couldn't have said it better! Acting dumb has been my savior too many a times! Hahaha! By doing that, I've witnessed so many people make fools outta themselves too, ironically!

Confessions of a Born Procrastinator said...

@Princess Banter...
Well... atleast the person who becomes the fool isnt aware that he is being thot of as a fool...

End of the day, "rose coloured glasses always better"..[:)]